Professional organizer Clare Kumar teaches new ways to maximize your limited closet.
1. Remove everything from the closet and edit your wardrobe down to your favourites. Include clothes, shoes and accessories
2. Separate in and out of season clothes if space is tight, allocating off-season clothes to a more remote location.
3. Identify your preferences for storing clothes. For example, do you like to fold or hang pants?
4. Assess your storage areas. Include the closet, dressers, over the door storage, wall hooks and even the space under the bed.
5. Group like items together and measure how much space they will take up stored in your preferred manner.
6. Based on your space and your preferences, choose your closet organizing system. Be sure to select uniform hangers to reduce visual noise. You may be able to work with what you've got, but if you need to maximize space, consider adding double hanging zones, installing shelves or adding drawers.
7. If necessary, remove old closet infrastructure, patch and paint.
8. Install new closet organizing pieces.
9. Replace clothing, shoes and accessories in appropriate spaces, like with like. This is the moment of truth. Have you edited enough?
10. Colour-block your clothes make it even easier to find things. Moving from light to dark works well.
For more information on professional organizer Clare Kumar: www.streamlife.ca/clare-kumar.html
|Mon 29||Jamie Oliver’s one-pot wonder|
|Tue 30||Marilyn’s Big Little Experts!|
|SEE THE FULL SCHEDULE|