Bathroom renovation tips:
1. The form follows the function – This is the most important part of the bathroom:
- Tub and Shower or Only shower
2. Materials: When it comes to materials, select neutral hard surfaces as you can change up feel with towels and accessories.
- You don’t really need to have a dozen towels, generally the same few towels rotate so don’t fill the space with “decorative towels” if you don’t have the space.
- Skirted toilets are much more popular now and give a nice clean look AND easier to clean.
- The dual flush system is a good cost saving selection and it’s also eco.
- For faucets, chrome is the best option due to its longevity.
- Connect the shower light with the bathroom fan to ensure it gets used by the whole family.
- A vanity with drawers and cupboards is better for storage than just straight cabinets.
- Leave enough clear surfaces on the counter top to place (toothbrush or makeup, etc) as you use them.
3. Know what kind of person are you – Bath Tub person or a Shower person?
- Give the most real estate to the most used item.
- If you are space constrained combine them as we have done here – best of both with the Twin line.
- Avoid the corner tubs, they take up tons of space, take forever to fill, get cold to quick, are hard to clean, and are very difficult to get in and out of.
4. What does it cost to renovate the bathroom?
- Create a budget and stick to it!
- Average price of a bath renovation is between 15 and 25 thousand dollars.
- Every trade person has to be part of the renovation
- Plumber, electrician, tile setter, carpenter AND a GC to pull it together.
- The return on investment is worth it both for your enjoyment and house sale.
5. If you want to save some money:
- Use porcelain not stone.
- Leave the plumbing fixtures where they are – the work behind the walls is very expensive so moving plumbing increases the cost dramatically.
- Don’t tile all walls, paint instead using Kitchen and bath paint
Products available at Watermark Kitchen & Bath Boutique:
Bath Accessories: Taymor
Toilet Paper Stand 02-D8587
Toilet Paper Storage 02-D1098
Towel Ring 02-D1016
Countertop Towel Holder 02-D8584
Bathtub Caddy 02-D8590