Mixing prints can be a tricky path to follow without knowing where to start. While the fashion elite and style stars are rocking head to toe contrasting florals, the rest of us are just trying to figure out which direction our stripes should be going. To take some of the guesswork out and help us embrace our inner fashion-girl, Peter Papapetrou is sharing his five essential rules for print mixing so we always look chic.
1. Match the intensity of prints, both in terms of size and colour tones.
2. Choose pieces with similar sheens and the same undertone
3. Choose prints with inverted colours, and then add a pop of colour with an accessory or outerwear
4. Loud and bold prints work together as long as there's one cohesive colour carried throughout.
5. For exceptionally bold or different styles of print, make sure one type of print carried though. It could be polka dots, or abstract graphics as pictured in the last outfit.
Florals and Leopard Print
Dress, Ted Baker, $459
Sweater, Ted Baker, $249
Blazer, Holt Renfrew, $1450
Bag, Ted Baker, $175
Shoes, Top, The Room at Hudson’s Bay, $780
Polka Dots and Window Pane Prints
Top, Zara, $49.90
Blazer, Zara $119
Earrings. Swarovski, $199
Bag, Zara, $49.90
Pants, Zara, $49.90
Shoes, Zara, $35.90
Bold Retro Prints and Stripes
Top, The Room at Hudson’s Bay, $595
Purse, The Room at Hudson’s Bay, $2750
Skirt, The Room at Hudson’s Bay, $1025
Shoes, The Room at Hudson’s Bay, $1245