Banish The Belly Fat!
Banish Belly Fat Through Better Hormonal Balance Via Help of Specific Foods and Supplements
One of the most common concerns I hear from both male and female patients is that their once slim physique is now home to an ever expanding population of fat cells, especially around their abdominal area, which tends to be particularly stubborn to remove with age. The good news is that there are things you can do today to beat belly fat through the years.
Subdue Your Chronic Stress Hormone - Cortisol. Not only does excess cortisol, increase appetite and cravings, it causes abdominal fat even in people who are otherwise thin. It also causes loss of memory, muscle mass, libido and bone density. In other words, chronic stress makes us soft, flabby and much older than we truly are.
- If your blood sugar levels are on a rollercoaster all day, you can bet your cortisol is as well. You can reduce the stress associated with blood sugar imbalance by eating a high protein breakfast within one hour of rising and avoiding more than a 3-4 hour gap between meals or snacks.
- Eggs, nuts, chicken, turkey, shellfish, seafood, fish
- Low GI carb option at dinner = sweet potato or quinoa (size of fist)
- The herbal formula relora lowers cortisol, assists with abdominal fat, helps restore healthy sleep patterns. I recommend two pills in the evening before bed and one pill upon waking.
- Vitamin C and Vitamin B6 for lowering cortisol and adrenal gland
- Omega 3 fish oils
Eliminate Excess Estrogen.
In both men and women, excess estrogen is associated with water retention, poor libido, difficulty in losing belly fat, weight gain around the hips in pre-menopausal women or in the breast and abdomen area in both men and postmenopausal women.
- You need to increase the elimination of harmful estrogen by increasing your fiber intake (to 35 grams per day): Chia seeds, flaxseeds, legumes, oats, wheat germ, apples
- Detoxifiying foods: beets, carrot, onions, celery, broccoli
- Probiotic to replace healthy bacterial balance in the gut, which is essential for supporting belly fat loss.
- A formula that provides the nutrients involved in the breakdown and elimination of estrogen such as magnesium, B complex, calcium d-glucarate, turmeric and green tea.
Master The In’s and Out’s of Insulin.
Insulin is the only hormone that instructs the body to store energy as fat. Released mostly in response to the sugar and carbohydrates in our diet, it is one of the main reasons why carbs fuel more belly fat, cravings or an incessant appetite as we age.
Insulin lowering superfoods:
- The best way to decrease insulin along with your belly fat is to increase your healthy fat and protein intake while lowering your intake of all starchy carbohydrates (breads, grains, potatoes, rice, etc) and to enjoy a protein rich afternoon snack. For example, instead of cereal for breakfast, opt for a smoothie with whey protein isolate, berries, ground flax seeds and almond butter.
- blueberries, vinegar, whey protein, olive oil and eggs
- Multi-mineral for chromium, zinc, magnesium, biotin, etc that aid insulin balance
- Vitamin D3
- Bonus – the fish oils, fiber and probiotics also aid insulin balance!
DR. NATASHA TURNER is the author of two #1 national bestselling books, The Hormone Diet and The Supercharged Hormone Diet, and the founder of Clear Medicine Wellness Boutique. www.thehormonediet.com