Trish Magwood is here with, 'In My Mother's Kitchen'
Trish cooks easy-to-make family recipes from her new book that are sure to connect family and friends over delicious meals.
Mom’s Zephyr Island Barbecued Pineapple Chicken
- 18 pieces bone-in chicken (thighs, drumsticks, breasts)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ¼ cup (300 mL) brown sugar
- ¾ cup (175 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, halved and smashed
- 2 cups (500 mL) crushed pineapple with juice
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash chicken, pat dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Stir in crushed pineapple. Divide marinade between two 9- x 13-inch (3 L) baking dishes. Add chicken, flipping a few times to coat.
- Bake, covered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until juices run clear. Do not overcook. Turn chicken pieces over, then cool completely. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Grill chicken 5 minutes per side or until you have nice grill marks and chicken is warmed through.
- 1 medium green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 2 carrots, finely shredded
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) white vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) prepared mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) celery seeds
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, toss shredded vegetables with sugar.
- In a medium pot, combine sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt and celery seeds; bring to a boil. Carefully add oil. Boil 1 more minute. Pour over vegetables. Mix with a fork. Cover tightly and marinate, refrigerated, at least 5 hours. Coleslaw keeps in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Recipes from In My Mother’s Kitchen