Simple tips for preparing a picnic lunch
Chef Andrea Nicholson has some tasty, delicious must-haves for your picnic including tasty tuna sandwiches and amazing devilled eggs.
Lemon Tuna Salad
- 3 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 red chili, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cans of albacore tuna
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup taggiashe black olives or nicoise olives
- 8 slices hearty bread (Italian, French, ciabatta, or country white)
- Watercress or arugula
- Place lemon juice, chili, lemon zest, and mayonnaise in a blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and transfer to a large bowl. Add the onions, celery, olives and parsley and set aside.
- Drain the canned tuna well and place into the wet ingredients. Divide the tuna salad among 4 slices of bread. Top the salad with a few sprigs of watercress and top with the remaining bread.
Bacon Devilled Eggs
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives & chervil
- 3 strips of smoked bacon, cooked until very crispy and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained and chopped
- salt and pepper
- capers and chives, for garnish
- Place eggs in cold water and bring up to a boil. Cook for 8 minutes, shut off heat, strain and pour cold water over top until the eggs are cold.
- Peel eggs and cut in half. Scoop out cooked yolks and blend with mayonnaise, mustard, chives and chopped capers and season to taste. Place egg filling in a piping bag and pipe back into egg whites. Garnish with the bacon bits and chive. Wrap and chill until ready to serve.