Nutritionist Miranda Malisani explains the health benefits of switching up ingredients in traditional breakfasts and offers some delicious alternatives including: scrambled egg wrap with salsa, quinoa porridge, toasted spelt with almond butter and a smoothie.
You know breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But did you know a few tweaks to some classic breakfasts can help beat the winter blahs and keep you feeling happy and balanced all day? Nutritionist Miranda Malisani offers these quick fixes to beat the blues.
Mix two eggs with with 1 tsp almond milk and scramble. Add the eggs to a gluten-free brown rice wrap. Top with salsa or fresh herbs.
• Eggs are high in B vitamins to help boost mood
• Almond milk is a great source of calcium, which keeps you calm
• The whole grains in the brown rice wrap are full of energy boosting vitamins and minerals
Quinoa flakes cook just like rolled oats. Take 1/3 cup flakes, add ¾ cup boiling water and stir. Top with chopped walnuts, hemp milk, cinnamon and maple syrup.
• Quinoa is a major source of protein, iron, B vitamins and vitamin E. All building blocks to enhancing and regulating your mood.
• Walnuts and hemp milk high in Omega 3’s which help regulate hormones
• Cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar, keeping both mood and appetite in check.
Smear a thin layer of almond butter on toast. Top with raw honey or banana to naturally sweeten the butter.
• Whole grain bread is simply one step up the nutrition scale than whole wheat. Spelt, kamut or rye bread are rich in B vitamins, Vitamin E, magnesium and iron.
• Almonds are high in protein and have no cholesterol. Most of the fat in almonds is the “good” monounsaturated fat, which keeps mood swings at bay. Almonds are high in zinc, which prevents cranky moods.
Blend ¼ cup soy or almond milk, ¼ yoghurt, ½ cup pineapple juice. ½ cup frozen blueberries, 1 banana, 2 tsp flax seeds, 1 tsp hemp oil.
• Soy milk is rich in energy-boosting B12
• Plain yoghurt is rich in healthy bacteria, which fights anxiety and depression
• Blueberries and pineapple keep your immune system strong and boosts energy
• Bananas contain potassium, which keeps us calm
• Hemp oil and Flax seeds high in Omega 3’s