Marilyn Denis is one of the most fun-loving – and quite honestly, one of the nicest people in broadcasting – as host of her own and Canada’s #1 daytime lifestyle series, THE MARILYN DENIS SHOW. The veteran broadcaster also co-hosts Roger, Darren & Marilyn weekday mornings on Toronto’s #1-ranked radio station 104.5 CHUM FM. A dominating presence in Toronto radio and Canadian television, Marilyn’s quick wit, connection with the audience and charm have made her a much-beloved figure in CHUM FM’s 27 year history and a favourite among viewers nationwide.
THE MARILYN DENIS SHOW airs live weekdays on CTV. The show brings Canadians quality programming with a mix of expert and celebrity guests. Marilyn places fans at the centre of it all, as she provides a unique blend of entertainment and topical lifestyle information, from fashion, food and fitness, to viewers across the country.
A definite trailblazer, Marilyn became the first female DJ at KRPL in Moscow, Idaho. She then moved to Calgary where she held various radio and television positions including programmer, music director, and traffic reporter. But it wasn’t until she auditioned to become Roger Ashby’s co-host, that Marilyn found her niche. After interviewing dozens of broadcasters and actresses, Marilyn breezed into CHUM FM in July 1986. After chatting with her for a few brief minutes, Roger immediately remarked, “I think we’ve found the right one.”
Marilyn has always balanced her dynamic radio career with her candid television presence. She first began her career in television by reporting on sports, weather, and entertainment at CFCN-TV (CTV Calgary) and working as a freelance reporter for TSN. Marilyn also shared hosting duties on Bravo!'s Gemini Award-winning concert series LIVE AT THE REHEARSAL HALL and was host of the popular daily show CITYLINE for nearly 20 years.
A triple Gemini Award-winner (including back-to-back Viewers Choice Awards), Marilyn received The Rosalie Award, honouring Canadian women who have paved the way for others in radio broadcasting in 2006.
Marilyn is committed to many charities. An advocate for the fight against ovarian and breast cancer, Marilyn supports the Colorectal Cancer Association of Canada. Marilyn also supports and encourages organ donation and was one of the first members of the SickKids Constellation, a premier group of stars who support the efforts of the SickKids Foundation.
Follow Marilyn Denis on Facebook (Facebook.com/MarilynDenis
), Twitter (@MarilynDenisCTV
), and Instagram (@MarilynDenis).
Top 10 things you probably don’t know about Marilyn…by Marilyn
1. I was born in Edmonton and raised in Pittsburgh. And while I have the hockey gene (watching, not playing), my fave sport is football (watching, not playing) – and my team is the Pittsburgh Steelers.
2. My son Adam has a pretty good head on his shoulders, but I question his choice of careers. He has followed his mother into the world of broadcasting. (All kidding aside, I am incredibly proud of him!)
3. I was the third of 4 sisters. So, needless to say, I had to work hard to get any attention at home! (Perhaps that explains my career path.) My poor dad was often overwhelmed by the tidal wave of estrogen in the house.
4. My two biggest influences were my parents. I got my sense of humour and love of life from my Mom. From my father, I inherited a huge forehead.
5. My favourite fictional character is Mr Darcy – both in Jane Austen’s “Pride & Prejudice” and (Mark Darcy) in “Bridget Jones’s Diary”. Colin Firth, my favourite actor ever, has played both roles brilliantly.
6. Every morning, I co-host the 104.5 CHUM FM morning show with Roger Ashby and Darren B. Lamb. Roger’s been my radio partner since 1986. He’s a great guy…even if he reminds me of my dad a bit too much! Darren is one of the smartest and wittiest guys I’ve known. He also has the sharpest, weirdest and most hilariously inappropriate sense of humour of anyone I’ve ever met.
7. My greatest fear is that someone will post an embarrassing video of me on YouTube – specifically me trying to get off of a ski lift. I’m about as graceful as Fred Flintstone in a tutu… wearing skiis.
8. I think the greatest inventions of the last hundred years are The Swiffer and Ziploc bags.
9. The most overused appliance in my kitchen? The telephone! I’d rather call for reservations than attempt to cook another meal! (I have the fire dept on speed dial whenever I cook)
10. I have been lucky enough to become friends with many of the guests on my show. It’s one of the best things about my job.